Sunday, March 2, 2008

Day 4 of Bonding Period

HI everyone! We are still having problems with our internet connection. It appears that we can send text (sometimes) but getting pictures up on the blog is very difficult (video is out of the question)! Unfortunately, someone told us that Dennis no longer works at the Hotel’s Business Center. Jeannine, thank you for letting us know about the Internet CafĂ©! I asked our interpreter and she didn’t know of any in the area. We will definitely check it out in the next day or two to get some pictures up!

We just completed our 4th day of the required 14 day bonding period. Daniel has a cold. We talked to the doctor yesterday and were told to go to the pharmacy and pick up some medicine for him so we hope he is feeling better soon. It’s terrible to have to watch him cough so hard for such a little guy.

The baby house is about 2 miles away from our hotel. Our driver and translator pick us up at 10AM and we spend 2 hours with Daniel in a visiting room. After 4 hours at the hotel, we go back and spend two more hours with him from 4 – 6PM. The visiting room is a large room with some toys and a piano. There are 2 other families that share this room with us. Both of the families are from Spain are very nice. They are both adopting little girls and they are both “almost” as adorable as Daniel! One of the fathers speaks English fairly well and he likes to practice on anyone who will listen!

As I said, Daniel has not been feeling very well since we first met him. He has a hard time lying down because he coughs so much. He is also teething so he has been cranky for some of the time. He doesn’t really cry loud but he just whines a lot (Patti said he takes after me – I have no idea what she is talking about)! As soon as you pick him up and start walking around the room, he quiets right down. Patti and I switch up after a few laps. Our backs are not use to the extra 15 pounds. When Patti walks him, he will look at me until he gets closer to the other children; then he starts watching them. We brought a little baby photo album that he likes to look at. We have pictures of Mom, Dad, Kathie, Kailin and Molly; he likes to look at that.

I think Daniel is just starting to recognize us when we walk into his room to pick him up. As soon as we open the door, we are greeted by 5 or 6 children who run us over with their walkers. They all seem to be a couple of month older than him. Daniel will give us a smile once in a while but not very often. He is in a strange (visiting) room and a new baby room that he just moved into (room #2 for those of you who have been there). He also spends 4 hours a day with people who speak a language that he has never heard before. When he hears anyone speak Russian, his head spins around to see whose talking. He is going through a lot of changes right now.

Patti and I visited the City Mall and also went to the Russian Circus this afternoon. We went with the 3 other families that stay in our hotel and also one of the Spanish families. It was a good time. It was the first time that Patti and I ventured out of the hotel since we got here. We haven’t been sleeping very well and have been very tired (I’m also woke up this morning with a sore throat). We are hoping to get out and about more this week.

Our hotel also has a bowling alley in it. We haven’t bowled yet but we have been to the snack bar. No one there speaks English nor do they have English menus. The first time we went there, I starting drawing a picture of a cheeseburger. I got about 80% done when he yelled out “Cheeseburger” (he had a huge smile on his face and was so proud)!! I nodded my head yes!! It tasted really bad and it’s the first cheeseburger that I’ve ever had that didn’t have any cheese on it! The next day I wanted to try the chicken wings so I drew a stick figure chicken and an arrow to the wings. I was going to do the “Chicken Dance” for him but Patti did not allow it since she didn’t have the video camera with her.

Thank you so much for those of you who have comments. Patti and I really look forward to reading them and hearing from all of you. That’s about it for today. I’m going to bed early to try to fight off the cold that I feel coming.

Muriel – can you send me the name of the restaurant that you said was so good and was inexpensive. I think it was Brew something or other.

17 comments:

Kelly and Sne said...

Poor Daniel. So many changes - it must be overwhelming for him - and to not feel well on top of it... I'm sure that he'll show his little personality one of these days... it seems to take about a week or so for the kids to come out of their shell or something and get "spoiled" (that seems to be what the caretakers call it).

Just look at the challenge of getting food as part of the adventure. One of my philosophies is that you haven't lived if you haven't embarassed yourself 'doing the chicken dance' or another pantomine while trying to communicate in a foreign language!

dnd82001 said...

Everything sounds like it is moving along nicely other then Daniel not feeling 100% but that will pass soon and as you spend more time together everything else will fall into place.

Enjoy your bonding time together, get some rest & stay well!

PS - wonder if he would have understood the chicken dance, next place you should try that instead!

Too funny!!

Darlene

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us a good laugh, would have loved to have seen the chicken dance. Sorry to hear Daniel is feeling under the weather. We will be staying tuned. we just love reading your blog!!
J. Sue Nicole & Matt

Anonymous said...

Nicole got the email!!!
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hazael & Bob were going to have Roast Beef for dinner tonight, but they changed their mind after reading your blog & decided to have Russian Cheeseburgers and wings!!
Bob & Hazel

Kristan and Mark said...

Hey,
I'm not Muriel, but I was in Karaganda when she was there and we are friends. I think you are referring to Line Brew however I don't remember it being inexpensive.

Johnny Walkers is good and has an assortment of prices from high to average. They do have an English menu as well. The pizza there is pretty good, also the hamburgers (although I did have one that wasn't good, but that was out of many).

Assorti is a little cafe that is great. They also have an English menu and the owner speaks some English. It is inexpensive. Their salad bar is also safe to eat. We ate there many times.

Also Rainbow has a great buffet on Sundays that is very reasonable as well. Their regualr dinners are a little more expensive.

Marios pizza is inexpensive as well. No English menu but Maragrita pizza is pretty much plain cheese pizza. It's pretty good especially for the price, however I preferred the pizza a line brew.

The lattes in the city mall are good and they usually serve some really yummy chocolate with them as well.

Hope you are able to get some rest!
Kristan

The Cook said...

Assorti is the one we were talking about. It has the really good pastry with the ground beef inside and the salad bar. Everything there is washed and prepared with bottled water. Linebrew is awesome but is expensive (about the same as Johnnie Walkers) It has the chicken fondue and great steaks.

The Cosmonaut has a good cheeseburger. Just ask for no mayo. If you take your laptop over there and sit in the bar and eat you can use the wireless. Make sure you get the chocolate cake.

The Cook said...

Oh yes, again he is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I have seen Brian dance. Chicken or otherwise please let us not start an international incident ;) !

Hang in there! Hope you both feel better.

Don, Michelle, Zachary, and Alexander said...

Congrats on a beautiful son! I am so happy your trip is going well. Did you try emaling pics to someone else and having them post them? I sent our pics to my mom and she did it, with me posting the messages. It took so much less time and saved me the aggravation. Congrats again and I can't wait to see your journey.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys...we will be waiting for the chicken dance at the next waiting parents meeting...you better look good, i will be bringing the video camera!
Your son is soooooo handsome and cute. Enjoy each moment, sick and all. salt water gargles, teaspoon of salt to 8 ounces of warmed water will help if you can't get throat lozengers. (honey supposedly helps the throat too.)
be well and safe..
rose and jeff

Anonymous said...

Brian & Patti,

Kathie sent Eileen, Mom and I the info on your blog. Congratulations on your new addition, he is absolutely adorable! Hopefully we'll get to NY soon and see you all in person.

Take care,

Meg, Will, Patrick & Sean

Anonymous said...

Hi from Buffalo! Congratulations on your new baby boy! Daniel is beautiful! Sorry to hear he is not feeling good. Sounds like the trip is going well, except for the cheeseburger...Stay healthy and safe. Amy M.

PS: Patti, Sean resigned, Bob's in charge... many changes.

Anonymous said...

aw my little cousin looks so cute i cant wait till he comes home!! i want to be the official babysitter lol " i miss you guys!!"

love always,
Raven <3

Anonymous said...

bye the way when you get home i want you to do the chicken dance !!

-Raven

Anonymous said...

it seems yesterday I dropped you two off to the airport. cant believe you two will be back that soon. Daniel looks just awesome and the pictures of the three of you are incredible. Brian life has changed as you know it. but it doesnt get any better than this

jsnm

Anonymous said...

Brian & Patti,
Tried to send an email, but not sure that it went thru. Love all the pictures of Daniel,he is soooo cute! He's gonna be a big hit on OCB.com Can't wait to meet him in person. Hope the rest of your journey is smooth. Looking forward to you guys coming home so that we can meet Daniel in person. Nothing new here, same old thing! cold, cold & more cold. Bring some warm weather with you when you come back!
Take care- And great job with the blog Brian, all the updates & pictures.
See you soon!
Toni & Joe Pallotolo